Yield: 8 servings, pumpkin pie
For Pumpkin Pie:
- 1 15 oz. can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 12 oz. evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 9-inch deep-dish frozen pie crust, thawed according to package directions
Maple Crumb Topping:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
- 6 Tbsp. cold butter
- 1 Tbsp. crystallized ginger (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine pumpkin puree, eggs, evaporated milk, brown sugar, maple syrup and pumpkin pie spice. Mix well, and pour into thawed crust.
Place pumpkin pie on a baking sheet, and bake 20 minutes. While pie is baking, make crumb topping: Combine flour, sugar, butter and ginger, if using, in a food processor. Pulse until mixture becomes crumbly. Do not overprocess, or the mixture will turn into a dough. You just want large chunks of crumbly goodness.
Remove pumpkin pie from oven. Sprinkle crumb topping over pie. Drizzle with maple syrup. Bake another 30-40 minutes, until crust and crumb topping are golden brown. Let pumpkin pie cool completely before cutting.